Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ramune

This is just a quick post. I have LOTS to write about at another time.

My friend Noelle sent me an email asking about this Japanese drink called Ramune. It's got a funky bottle and closure system involving a marble. So she was all, "you have to try it and tell me if it's all true!" So I did!

My friend Sonja and I were in Nikko last weekend checking out some World Heritage sites when we came across a little ice cream shop. There was a little kid outside drinking something with a marble in it and I had to have one.
Here's an extremely self-conscious "oh no we're such tourists" video. I hope you appreciate it.



I had no trouble drinking it, except that I happened to see a local microbrew (not so common in Japan) next to it in the cooler so I bought both. They weren't exactly complementary. However, Ramune is sugary, vaguely fruity and altogether fine :)
I wish I could say something similar for the "Nikko" brew... The Ramune was $1.50 and the beer was $8.00....

Sadly, the Japanese woman I bought the drink from would not let me take it out of the store with me. There must be a serious deposit on the bottle!

3 comments:

The Ubran Poetess said...

Yes! I made your blog. I am honored.

Anonymous said...

Brian -
I have trouble answering you blog.
You know my computer skills are not the greatest. I love to read your blog and am so interested in what you are done. My term as Chair of SOAR is almost done - May 16th. Then I will free to follow many other pursuits. Spent time up on the St. Lawrence today. It was gorgeous.Take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Hey slacker!
Been over a week and only a couple of tiny paragraphs??!! Cool video - like to see more of that. Andy sends XXX & OOO.

Gary.